Intracoastal Waterway and New River
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
This information is to be used as a guide. Prudent captains will always refer to other sources such as US Government charts and books.
NOTE: BRIDGES WILL NOT OPEN from 7:30-9:00 AM and from 4:30 to 6:00 PM, M-F during rush hour traffic
Use VHF Channel 9 to communicate with bridges
Always monitor Channel 9 for traffic reports from vessels headed up or down the river.
Beware! There is a 2 knot tidal current in the New River changing direction every 6 hours.
Very Important! It is best to go up the river with the tide coming out.
Bridges on the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) from Sea Entrance headed North (Ft. Lauderdale area) are as follows:
1. 17th Street Causeway, At Port Everglades entrance to Ft. Lauderdale from sea
2. Las Olas Blvd
3. Sunrise Blvd
4. Oakland Park Blvd
5. Commercial Blvd
Bridges on the New River – from ICW are as follows:
1. Third Ave – 2 spans, on demand, responsive
2. Andrews Ave – 1 spans, on demand, slow
3. Railroad Bridge – 1 span, unpredictable, slow
4. Seventh Ave – 2 span, on demand, responsive
5. Eleventh Ave (North Fork) – swing, on demand, slow
6. Broward Blvd (North Fork) – fixed no clearance
7. Davie Blvd (South Fork) – 2 spans, on demand, responsive
8. I-95 (South Fork) – fixed 55 foot clearance
Please see our New River Guide: Part II Navigation for more.