It is often confusing when talking about center cockpit sailboats when certain models come along into discussion. When I talk about center cockpit yachts, I mean yachts with full width aft staterooms. The assumption is that these two features: a full width aft stateroom and a center cockpit deck mold go hand in hand. But there is a rare class of yachts that mess up this simplified categorization of sailboats. While all center cockpits have aft staterooms, some aft cockpits have full width aft staterooms. There are serious trade-offs including low headroom and a likely lack of overhead hatches. Here is a list of some of the most well known models with this arrangement.
- Baltic 38 – The Swan split-off offers high quality construction and fast lines like on this 38-footer.
- Beneteau Idylle 11.5 – Old school Beneteau before they went all the way to mass production.
- C&C 37/40+ – The inspiration for this list with her spacious centerline queen aft. I should note that the earlier model C&C 44 was the prototype for the 37/40 and had a similar arrangement.
- Hunter 40 Legend – Amazing value and performance, typical Hunter build issues.
- Hylas 42 – Classic Swan style German Frers design.
- Mason 44 – Comes in her original 43-foot version likewise with an aft stateroom.
- Swan 46 – Low freeboard and athletic lines make this a spectacular racer / cruiser.
I have been struggling for a while to put together this list which according to to my records I first drafted on December 14, 2010. Please offer your suggestions in the comments below or any feedback on the current selection.