Whether for doing the Great Loop or putzing up and down the US Atlantic east coast, here is a short list of trawlers. A trawler is the middle ground between sail and power, and many clients seem to transfer between the two – especially seasoned sailboaters. I have limited my list to between 40 and 50 feet with a full range of prices.
- Cherubini 45 Independence – Softly styled trawler, one slipped at good ol’ Roylale Palm had a romantic scooter fasted to the bridge that spoke of island hopping.
- Coastal Craft 4500 IPS – Little known BC make, aluminum with high tec systems and commercial quality construction, IPS drive.
- Defever 48 – A classic along with her little 44 sistership, popular aft cockpit arrangement optimal for cruisers.
- Grand Banks 46 Classic – Synonymous with trawler, GB’s are the originals with many other models like the Europa, Alaskan, Heritage to choose from.
- Kadey Krogen 42 – Headquartered in Florida and built in Taiwan, ideal liveaboard accommodations.
- Mainship 43 – Mass produced for a value conscious audience.
- Nordhavn 46 – Expensive but well built and equipped by Ta Shing.
- Ocean Alexander 45 Classic – Timeless traditional appeal, aft cabin with queen.
- Sabreline 47 – Good looking sharp styled, down easter by famous New England builder.
- Selene 47 Ocean Trawler – A Nordhavn like rugged trawler to cut the dock lines and set off for serious offshore cruising.
Feel free to comment below with additional models to consider, critiques on any of the above, or other thoughts.