If you have a lot of stawberries around, a strawberry tower is a good way to save space and get fruit. Try making one in early spring with your stawberries plants. This how-to will show you:
- materials needed
- pitfalls to avoid
- procedure to follow
To build your strawberry tower you’ll need:
- 1 PVC pipe
- an electric drill
- 4 bags of dirt
- 1 sheet of wire mesh
You’ll also course need a pile of strawberry plants like below.
Don’t make these mistakes:
- Using a pot – dirt spilling from the tower fills the pot making it heavy and wasting dirt.
- Not implanting a watering pipe – water runs off the vertical tower.
- Using too few strawberries – pack them in.
- Too much shade- strawberries like lots of sun.
To build your strawberry tower follow these steps.
Step 1: Foundation
First, let’s start laying the foundation of the tower. We’ll need to dig a hole to keep the wire mess erect.
- Grab the wire mesh.
- Bend the mesh into a tube.
- Pick up the shovel.
- Dig a hole wide enough for your mesh tube.
- Stick your mesh tube into the hole.
Step 2: Filling with dirt.
Second, we’ll fill our mesh tube with dirt while making the resulting tower easy to water. We’ll use the PVC pipe as a way of watering the tower. It’ll be filled around and stick out the middle of the dirt tower like shown above.
- Gather the PVC pipe and electric drill.
- Lay the PVC pipe down on a flat surface.
- Drill holes every couple inches.
- Stick the PVC pipe into the middle of the mesh tube.
- Push the PVC pipe firmly down into the ground.
- Grab your bags of dirt.
- Pick up your shovel.
- Fill the mesh to the top with the dirt using the shovel.
Step 3: Planting the strawberries.
Third, now we have a dirt tower. We just need to plant the strawberries.
- Put your gloves on.
- Start at the bottom.
- Make a hole the dirt inside a hole in the mesh.
- Grab a strawberry plant and stick it’s roots into the hole.
- Push the dirt down from above in the tower, letting it fill your hole.
- Leave the hole made by pushing the dirt down.
- Grab another strawberry.
- Plant it in that hole where the dirt fell down to your first strawberry.
- Push again down the dirt from above to plant the strawberry.
- Repeat numbers 5 through 8 until you reach the top.
- Do this again an again until you plant all your strawberries.
Now, you have a strawberry tower. You’ve dug a hole, put a mesh tube in it, stuck a PVC pipe down the middle, filled it all with dirt, and lined the sides with strawberries. With a temperate weather and good sun, you’ll have a nice crop of juicy red strawberries.